The 2017 Executive Council meeting was held on Thursday, June 8, 2017 from 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. in Annapolis, Maryland. The public meeting took place in the Governor's Reception Room in the State House.
At the meeting, representatives from the six Chesapeake Bay watershed states, the District of Columbia and the Chesapeake Bay Commission signed a resolution in support of the Chesapeake Bay Program partnership. The resolution calls upon the President and United States Congress to continue the current level of federal support for the Chesapeake Bay Program, including the coordinating role of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Chesapeake Bay Program. It also calls for science, monitoring, modeling and restoration to continue with the full participation of local, state and federal agencies and private sector partners as appropriate. Because of advocacy statements contained within the resolution, federal law and practice prohibited the EPA from signing.
Members of the Executive Council also elected Maryland Governor Larry Hogan as the new Chair. Governor Hogan succeeds Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe, who became chair on January 1, 2015.
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. ET - Executive Council Private Lunch
- 12:45 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. ET - Public Meeting and Press Conference
- 2:00 p.m. ET – Meeting adjourns
- The Honorable Terence R. McAuliffe, Governor, Commonwealth of Virginia (Executive Council Chair)
- The Honorable Larry J. Hogan Jr., Governor, State of Maryland
- The Honorable L. Scott Lingamfelter, Vice-Chairman, Chesapeake Bay Commission
- The Honorable Austin Caperton, Cabinet Secretary, Department of Environmental Protection, State of West Virginia
- The Honorable Shawn Garvin, Secretary, Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control, State of Delaware
- The Honorable Patrick McDonnell, Secretary, Department of Environmental Protection, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- The Honorable Tommy Wells, Director, Department of Energy and Environment, District of Columbia
- The Honorable Ken Wagner, Senior Advisor to the Administrator for State and Regional Affairs, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
To view photographs from the 2017 meeting of the Chesapeake Executive Council, please visit our Flickr album.