On Friday, October 1, 2021, the Chesapeake Executive Council will hold a public meeting and press event during which the council will announce the adoption of a climate change directive for the Chesapeake Bay Program. Additionally, members of the Executive Council will have the opportunity to give remarks about how climate change is impacting their region and what measures they are taking to address it. Prior to the meeting, council members will be joined by Pamela Northam, First Lady of the Commonwealth of Virginia, and subject matter experts from the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia for an environmental education experience on the Lynnhaven River. More detailed information will be forthcoming on the 2021 Executive Council meeting website.
The Chesapeake Executive Council was established by the Chesapeake Bay Agreement of 1983 to set goals and provide guidance for the Chesapeake Bay Program. The council meets on at least an annual basis.
The following individuals will participate in the Public Meeting and Press Conference:
- The Honorable Ralph S. Northam, Governor, Commonwealth of Virginia (Executive Council Chair)
- The Honorable Larry J. Hogan, Jr., Governor, State of Maryland
- The Honorable David Bulova, Chair, Chesapeake Bay Commission
- The Honorable Diana Esher, Acting Regional Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency
The following individuals will attend the Public Meeting and Press Conference on behalf of their council principals:
- The Honorable Russell Redding, Secretary, Department of Agriculture, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- The Honorable Tommy Wells, Director, Department of Energy and Environment, District of Columbia
- The Honorable Scott Mandirola, Assistant Secretary of External Affairs and Chief Science Office, Department of Environmental Protection, State of West Virginia
- Jim Tierney, Deputy Commissioner for Water Resources, Department of Environmental Conservation, State of New York (invited)
- Terry Deputy, Director, Division of Watershed Stewardship, Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control, State of Delaware
Friday, October 1, 2021 from 12:30 p.m.--1:00 p.m. ET
Media are invited to participate in-person or virtually. Please note that everyone attending the meeting in-person will need to wear a mask at all times and be fully vaccinated. You must register in advance if you plan on attending in-person. Please RSVP to Rachel Felver at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 29.
Brock Environmental Center—meeting to be held on outside deck
- 3663 Marlin Bay Drive
- Virginia Beach, VA 23455
The public and media are encouraged to attend virtually—please register using this link: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_FlMk0PqgTYmnqUToIU0dlQ
- Password: EC2021
- (Meeting room will open 15 minutes prior to the start of the meeting)