On Monday, June 16, the Chesapeake Executive Council held its annual meeting to set goals and guidance for the Chesapeake Bay Program. During their afternoon press event, the Council announced and signed the new Chesapeake Bay Watershed Agreement, a collaborative plan that will guide the seven Bay jurisdictions, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the Chesapeake Bay Commission in the restoration and stewardship of the Bay, its tributaries and the lands that surround them.
The Executive Council also heard from Bay Program Director Nick DiPasquale, who discussed the partnership’s work over the last two years; the Bay Program’s three advisory committees, which represent citizens, local governments and scientific and technical interests from across the watershed; and four high school students from Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and the District of Columbia, who spoke about the importance of engaging future generations in environmental restoration, advocacy and leadership.
As chair of the Executive Council, Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley hosted the meeting, which began with a public session in the Governor’s Reception Room at the Maryland State House in Annapolis. Following a private luncheon, the council held a press conference at Susan B. Campbell Park.
- 10 to 11:40 a.m.: Public Meeting: Governor's Reception Room, Maryland State House Annapolis, MD
- Noon to 1:30 p.m.: Private Executive Council Luncheon
- 1:30 p.m.: Press Conference: Susan B. Campbell Park, Annapolis, MD
- Gov. Martin O'Malley, Maryland (Executive Council Chair)
- Rep. Ronald Miller, Chair, Chesapeake Bay Commission
- Gov. Jack Markell, Delaware
- Mayor Vincent C. Gray, District of Columbia
- Gov. Thomas Corbett, Pennsylvania
- Gov. Terry McAuliffe, Virginia
- Scott Mandirola, Director, Division of Water and Waste Management, West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection
- Gina McCarthy, Administrator, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Ann Mills, Deputy Under Secretary, U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Nick DiPasquale, Director, Chesapeake Bay Program
To view photographs from the 2014 meeting of the Chesapeake Executive Council, please visit our Flickr set.
News Release and Meeting Materials:
- Agenda 5.29.14
- EC 2014 Media Advisory
- EC 2014 Media Release
- FINAL Chesapeake Bay Watershed Agreement
- Backgrounder: Watershed Agreement
- Backgrounder: Agreement Outcomes
- State of the CBP Report
- Backgrounder: The Chesapeake Executive Council Advisory Committees
- Recommendations from the Scientific & Technical Advisory Committee (STAC) to the EC
- Recommendations from the Local Govt Advisory Committee (LGAC) to the EC
- Recommendations from the Citizens Advisory Committee (CAC) to the EC