Scope and Purpose
The Best Management Practices (BMP) Verification Committee is charged with responsibility for developing all the elements of a basinwide BMP verification framework— BMP verification principles, protocols, review panel, and other verification related procedures (e.g., eliminating double counting, clean up of historical databases)—working in tandem with the Chesapeake Bay Program Partnership's pollutant source sector and habitat restoration workgroups.
The BMP Verification Framework includes:
- Verification principles – Partnership agreement on principles to guide the jurisdictions’ development and implementation of BMP verification programs
- Source sector- and habit-specific verification protocols – Developed through the Water Quality Goal Implementation Team's source sector workgroups — Agriculture, Forestry, Stormwater, and Wastewater — and Vital Habitat GIT’s habitat workgroups — Wetlands and Streams — and approved by the Partnership
- Verification review panel – Regional and national verification experts charged by the Partnership to review/make recommendations on the seven jurisdictions’ proposed verification programs
Goals and Priorities
Priority work tasks include the following:
- Review, comment on, and modify a working draft approach to preventing double counting BMPs developed by USGS working with the six states and NRCS.
- Review, comment on, and modify a working draft approach to cleaning up historical BMP databases developed by EPA Chesapeake Bay Program Office staff.
- Synthesize the various source sector workgroups and accounting workgroups/teams recommended verification protocols, feedback on the principles, etc. into an initial BMP verification framework for presentation to the WQGIT and then the other GITs for feedback and direction.
- Take the individual and collective feedback from the six GITs and the three advisory committees and revise the BMP verification framework prior to presentation to the Management Board.
- Take the feedback from the Management Board and work with the appropriate workgroups and GITs to address the concerns and specific direction from the Management Board.
- Let the Management Board know when all the components of the partnership’s overall BMP verification framework are ready for presentation to the Principals’ Staff Committee for review and adoption.
BMP Verification Program Plan Documentation
Please visit the following webpage for access to the jurisdictions' draft BMP Verification Program Plans, initial feedback reports on the draft Verification Program Plans submitted on June 30, 2015, as well as other useful resources related to the BMP Verification effort.