Scope and Purpose
The Sediment Workgroup has been sunsetted. When active the Sediment Workgroup provided technical and policy-related assistance to the Chesapeake Bay Program partners to meet Chesapeake 2000 sediment goals. Objectives wereto:
- Continue to compile, interpret and explain sediment science as it relates to the watershed and the Bay.
- Evaluate the relative contribution of sediment by source (upland, riverine, tidal erosion – includes shoreline erosion and shallow water re-suspension) to water clarity degradation.
- Compile and evaluate information on sediment reduction BMPs in tidal areas, in-stream and floodplains.
- Assist with the allocation of sediment loads by source and identification of the sources in the Watershed Model by tributary.
- Provide technical assistance to help jurisdictions evaluate, refine and implement their tributary strategies to meet sediment allocation goals.