No upcoming meetings.
Scope and Purpose
The Best Management Practices (BMP) Verification Committee is charged with responsibility for developing all the elements of a basinwide BMP verification framework— BMP verification principles, protocols, review panel, and other verification related procedures (e.g., eliminating double counting, clean up of historical databases)—working in tandem with the Chesapeake Bay Program Partnership's pollutant source sector and habitat restoration workgroups.
The BMP Verification Framework includes:
- Verification principles – Partnership agreement on principles to guide the jurisdictions’ development and implementation of BMP verification programs
- Source sector- and habit-specific verification protocols – Developed through the Water Quality Goal Implementation Team's source sector workgroups — Agriculture, Forestry, Stormwater, and Wastewater — and Vital Habitat GIT’s habitat workgroups — Wetlands and Streams — and approved by the Partnership
- Verification review panel – Regional and national verification experts charged by the Partnership to review/make recommendations on the seven jurisdictions’ proposed verification programs
Goals and Priorities
Priority work tasks include the following:
- Review, comment on, and modify a working draft approach to preventing double counting BMPs developed by USGS working with the six states and NRCS.
- Review, comment on, and modify a working draft approach to cleaning up historical BMP databases developed by EPA Chesapeake Bay Program Office staff.
- Synthesize the various source sector workgroups and accounting workgroups/teams recommended verification protocols, feedback on the principles, etc. into an initial BMP verification framework for presentation to the WQGIT and then the other GITs for feedback and direction.
- Take the individual and collective feedback from the six GITs and the three advisory committees and revise the BMP verification framework prior to presentation to the Management Board.
- Take the feedback from the Management Board and work with the appropriate workgroups and GITs to address the concerns and specific direction from the Management Board.
- Let the Management Board know when all the components of the partnership’s overall BMP verification framework are ready for presentation to the Principals’ Staff Committee for review and adoption.
BMP Verification Program Plan Documentation
Please visit the following webpage for access to the jurisdictions' draft BMP Verification Program Plans, initial feedback reports on the draft Verification Program Plans submitted on June 30, 2015, as well as other useful resources related to the BMP Verification effort.
Projects and Resources
Basinwide BMP Verification Framework Document
Revised final draft of the Chespeake Bay Basinwide BMP Verification Framwork document, updated in August 2014 for review by the Management Board. Supporting documentation provided as Appendices A-U.
- BMP verification framework final draft for mb review 08112014 [PDF, 1.8 MB]
- BMP verification framework document with all appendices [PDF, 34.7 MB]
- All appendices (A-U) [PDF, 33.4 MB]
- Appendix a--bmp verification principles [PDF, 341.7 KB]
- Appendix b--combined sector-habitat bmp verification guidance [PDF, 3.0 MB]
- Appendix c--bmp verification review panel charge and members [PDF, 500.9 KB]
- Appendix d--cbp bmp verif review panel recommendations 11 19 2013 [PDF, 627.9 KB]
- Appendix e--ensuring full access to federal conservation practice data [PDF, 391.0 KB]
- Appendix f--usgs hively et al 2013 [PDF, 2.5 MB]
- Appendix g--enhance collection and reporting of cost shared practices [PDF, 295.5 KB]
- Appendix h--cbp resource improvement practice definitions and visual indicators document 8-8-14 [PDF, 3.4 MB]
- Appendix i-placeholder [PDF, 82.2 KB]
- Appendix j--acknowledgments [PDF, 78.3 KB]
- Appendix k--list of cbp groups [PDF, 165.4 KB]
- Appendix l--building the basinwide framework [PDF, 550.6 KB]
- Appendix m--partnership process for development of the basinwide bmp verification framework [PDF, 402.5 KB]
- Appendix n--record of cbp meetings and teleconferences including bmp verification [PDF, 139.9 KB]
- Appendix o--verification guidance development and review process [PDF, 471.1 KB]
- Appendix p--relative load reductions analysis 02112014 [PDF, 681.3 KB]
- Appendix q--nps bmp qapp-guidance 8-11-14 [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Appendix r--eo13508 [PDF, 1.3 MB]
- Appendix s--nrc 2011 report chatper on bmp tracking and accountability [PDF, 790.4 KB]
- Appendix t--cac correspondence combined [PDF, 25.8 MB]
- Appendix u--draft stac verification oversight subgroup 16aug2013 [PDF, 1.6 MB]
Integrating Federal and State data records to report progress
Integrating Federal and State data records to report progress in establishing agricultural conservation practices on Chesapeake Bay farms. The final published report and appendices are available online via USGS: http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2013/1287/
Hively, W.D., Devereux, O.H., and Claggett, Peter, 2013, Integrating Federal and State data records to report progress in establishing agricultural conservation practices on Chesapeake Bay farms: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2013–1287, 36 p., http://dx.doi.org/10.3133/ofr20131287.
Existing State and USGS 1619 Data Sharing Agreements
Maryland, New York, Virginia and West Virginia as well as the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) currently have signed 1619 data sharing agreements with U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and Farm Services Agency (FSA). As part of the collaborative work on larger BMP Verification Framework, the jurisdictional partners are working closely with NRCS and FSA to ensure all six states have consistent, comprehensive data sharing agreements in place. The objective is to ensure each jurisdiction has equal and full access to all federally cost shared data needed to fully credit producers for their implementation conservation practices. These agreements ensure that full access to data while maintaining the business confidentiality of the individual producers information and data. The USGS’s 1619 data sharing agreements with NRCS and FSA were put into place to assist the six states in: getting full access to the federal cost shared data; enhancing their existing tracking and reporting systems; and developing and fully implementing procedures to eliminate any double counting of individual practices funded by two (or more) state/federal cost share programs.
- Md nrcs 1619 compliance agreement mda [PDF, 193.4 KB]
- Usgs nrcs cooperative agreement 12 14 10 [PDF, 341.0 KB]
- Usgs fsa nrcs data handling procedures 3 2011 [PDF, 158.5 KB]
- Wvda usda 1619 compliance agreement [PDF, 2.2 MB]
- 9 approval for bilateral sharing of data with states [PDF, 156.8 KB]
- Va nrcs 1619 data sharing agreement [PDF, 227.5 KB]
- Usgs fsa cooperative agreement 8 2 10 [PDF, 2.5 MB]
- Wvca nrcs 1619 data sharing agreement 2 2012 [PDF, 931.2 KB]
- Ny usc nrcs 1619 compliance agreement [PDF, 2.0 MB]
Documentation and Tables for CBP-Approved BMPs
To view the most recent version of the Scenario Builder documentation, go here: http://www.chesapeakebay.net/publications/title/documentation_for_scenario_builder
Jurisdictions' BMP Tracking and Reporting Leads and Contacts
Developed by the BMP Verification Committee and Water Quality Goal Implementation Team, these principles were adopted by the Principals' Staff Committee to guide the jurisdictions’ development and implementation of BMP verification programs.View details
The Chesapeake Bay Program's Watershed Implementation Plans webpage has direct links to each of the Phase I and Phase II Plans.
The Chesapeake Assessment Scenario Tool (CAST) is an online nutrient and sediment load estimator tool. The documentation provides definitions and information about Best Management Practices (BMPs).
The Chesapeake Bay Program's WIP Tools page provides links to modeling documentation and information about BMPs. Disclaimer: some links may be outdated. See CAST/VAST/MAST for updated documentation.
View or download the Phase II WIP here
Washington DC's Phase II WIP from DDOE's website
View or download Maryland's Phase II WIP and related documents from MDE's website
Find New York's Phase I Watershed Implementation Plan and similar documents here (scroll down the page)
Find Pennsylvania's Watershed Implementation Plans (WIPs) and all other TMDL- and Bay-related documents here (scroll down)
Virginia's Watershed Implementation Plans and other supporting documents are available here.
West Virginia's final Bay-related documents are available here
Whitney Ashead (Staffer), Water Quality Goal Staffer, Chesapeake Research Consortium
410 Severn Ave
Annapolis, Maryland 21403
Ann Swanson, Chesapeake Bay Commission
Aaron Ristow, Upper Susquehanna Coalition
Beth McGee, Chesapeake Bay Foundation
Bill Angstadt, Delaware Maryland Agribusiness Association
George Onyullo, District of Columbia Department of Energy & Environment (DOEE)
1200 First St. NE
Washington, District of Columbia 20002
John Rhoderick, Maryland Department of Agriculture
50 Harry S Truman Parkway
Annapolis, Maryland 21401
Matt Monroe, West Virginia Department of Agriculture-Regulatory and Environmental Affairs Division
Patricia Buckley, Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
Roy Hoagland, HOPE Impacts, LLC
Russ Baxter, Virginia Office of Natural Resources
Susan Marquart, USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)
Hank Zygmunt, Resource Dynamics, Inc
Valerie Frances, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Office of Environmental Markets
Nona McCoy, USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)
1400 Independence Ave
Washington, District of Columbia 20250