On November 29, 2005, the Chesapeake Executive Council met at the National Geographic Society building in Washington, D.C. to adopt several measures to accelerate the protection and restoration of the Chesapeake Bay. This annual meeting was held in collaboration with a National Geographic Summit on Chesapeake Bay Education.
Executive Council members committed to the following initiatives that will produce immediate and long-term results in the Bay's health:
- Reducing nutrient pollution from livestock operations. Executive Council members adopted an animal manure management strategy that calls for working with farmers to reduce the surplus nutrients from agricultural operations throughout the watershed.
- Providing regional recommendations for the 2007 Farm Bill. Leaders from the Bay states presented a report outlining the region's top five priorities for the 2007 Farm Bill; their recommendations are further detailed in the report, The 2007 Farm Bill: Concepts for Conservation Reform in the Chesapeake Bay Region.
- Improving upon current fisheries management activities. The Executive Council adopted a framework for an ecosystem-based fishery management approach for the Chesapeake Bay.
- Expanding Chesapeake Bay stewardship efforts. Executive Council members, regional school system leaders and environmental education providers signed an agreement to continue to expand Chesapeake Bay stewardship efforts.
During the National Geographic Summit on Chesapeake Bay Education, regional experts discussed the future of environmental education in the Bay watershed. Sessions focused on opportunities provided by the upcoming 400th anniversary of the Jamestown settlement, new directions and technologies in the education arena, and current education practices in the watershed.
News Release and Meeting Materials:
- Agenda (pdf - 111.509 KB)
- Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee (pdf - 38.099 KB)
- Citizens' Advisory Committee (pdf - 100.751 KB)
- doc-Bay Leaders Adopt Innovative Pollution Reduction and Fisheries Management Strategies to Accelerate Bay Restoration Effort (pdf - 166.323 KB)
- Chesapeake Watershed Education Agreement: Fostering Chesapeake Stewardship (pdf - 53.471 KB)
- Farm Bill Report Cover Letter to Congress (pdf - 545.955 KB)
- Adoption Statement on Fisheries Ecosystem Management (pdf - 50.439 KB)
- Fostering Chesapeake Stewardship: A Rich History and a Promising Future (pdf - 49.4 KB)
- Local Government Advisory Committee (pdf - 101.959 KB)
- Adoption Statement on Reducing Animal Manure and Poultry Litter Pollution in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed (pdf - 51.652 KB)
- Strategy for Managing Surplus Nutrients from Agricultural Animal Manure and Poultry Litter in the Chesapeake Bay Watershed (pdf - 183.442 KB)