Scope and Purpose
The scope of the Wastewater Treatment Workgroup (WWTWG) is to facilitate implementing regulatory approaches to wastewater treatment in the Bay watershed. The group is mostly composed of state and federal National Pollution Discharge Elimination System managers from around the Bay watershed.
The purpose of the workgroup is to:
- Track and report wastewater data. Track and report on wastewater nutrient and sediment point source loads from both significant and non-significant facilities, and septic sewer systems.
- Identify and evaluate new wastewater treatment technologies. Discuss the implementation of new wastewater treatment technologies to remove nutrients and sediments. Activities include initiating panel reports on specific topics.
- Engage in peer-to-peer learning and provide a discussion forum. That is, sharing regulatory approaches to improve wastewater treatment to help improve water quality. Exchange information between the Bay partners, stakeholders, and the Chesapeake Bay Program on point source nutrient and sediment removal and the associated implementation costs.
- Leverage resources. Identify and harness opportunities with other workgroups on co-benefits associated with reducing wastewater and septic nutrient loads in the Bay watershed. Provide and receive information (e.g., data, models, methods, and approaches) from other workgroups and committees.
- Respond to Water Quality Goal Implementation Team. Initiate and coordinate activities on wastewater topics in response to WQGIT requests.